NOTE: Series details and how to submit appear after the following hyper or image links to the complete letters. The series so far:
Jehangir Merchant’s Thank You Letter to the Fatimid Ismaili Icon, Da’i Al-Mu’ayyad al-Shirazi by Jehangir A. Merchant (Canada)
Jalaledin Ebrahim’s Gratitude to Amira Dharrab, Abu Najm Sarraj and Hasan-i-Sabbah by Jalaledin Ebrahim (USA)
Khalil Andani’s Thank You Letter to the School of Isma‘ili Philosophers by Khalil Andani (USA/Canada)
* * *
A Thank You Letter Inspired by Prince Amyn Mohammad Aga Khan’s Exceptional Service to the Imamat by Azeem Maherali (USA)
* * *
* * *
Salim Kanji’s Thank You Letter to Three Ismaili Pioneers in East Africa by Salim Kanji (Canada)
* * *
* * *
Reminiscences of Two Great Ismaili Missionaries, Pir Sabzali and Meghji Missionary by Izat Velji (Canada)
* * *
Ameer Janmohamed’s Thank You Letter to Pir Sabzali and the Ismaili Pirs of the Ginanic Tradition by Ameer Janmohamed (UK)
* * *
Hatim Mahamid’s Thank You Letter to the IIS by Hatim Mahamid (Israel)
* * *
A “Thank You” Letter to the Person of the Institution of Imamat by Aziz Kurwa (UK)
* * *
A Thank You Letter to Prince Sadruddin Aga Khan – “A Man of Multiple Visions” by Mohezin Tejani (Thailand)
* * *
A “Thank You” Letter to the Makers of the Blue Qur’an by Andrew Kosorok (USA)
Has anyone in Ismaili history from the earliest times to the modern period inspired you and left an indelible mark on your life? How would you thank that one individual and what would you say in your letter to the person or groups of persons? We invite your contributions for this imaginative series to celebrate this blog’s third anniversary. Our first and second anniversaries were celebrated with the highly acclaimed I Wish I’d Been There and the on-going The Jamatkhana series – see links above the banner.
Remember, the individual (or group of individuals) you write to may be an iconic figure or even a lesser known person who has played an important part in the life of the Ismaili community. All writers should address specific reason(s) explaining why they believe the person(s) they are writing to deserves to be thanked. It is hoped that writing such imaginary letters will encourage an understanding of different periods in Ismaili history, including the modern period, as well as show the writer’s personal gratitude and feeling for the personality. You are invited to contribute other material including images as part of your letter.
In order to make the series rich, meaningful as well as educational, the length of each Thank You letter – we shall accept poems too – should preferably be between 250 – 750 words, although we will accept longer letters of up to a maximum of 1500 words – this announcement, for example, is approximately 375 words long. For examples of Thank you letters that may assist you in formulating your own letter to an Ismaili historical figure, please read the eleven published letters (as of July 4, 2012) in our series so far as well as visit the external link http://thankyoumessages.org where you will find letters to Mahatma Gandhi, Nelson Mandela, John F. Kennedy and other individuals.
Please send your contribution to Simerg@aol.com, Subject: “Thank You Series.” All contributors will be contacted before their letters are published. Contributors must include their full name, address and phone number, and accompany their information with a brief profile and, optionally, a photo.
We look forward to your Thank you letter to an Ismaili historical fugure.
The Thank You Series So Far….
- Jehangir Merchant’s Thank You Letter to the Fatimid Ismaili Icon, Da’i Al-Mu’ayyad al-Shirazi - February 27, 2013
- Jalaledin Ebrahim’s Gratitude to Amira Dharrab, Abu Najm Sarraj and Hasan-i-Sabbah – September 27, 2012
- Khalil Andani’s Thank You Letter to the School of Isma‘ili Philosophers - August 21, 2012
- Azeem Maherali’s Thank You Letter Inspired by Prince Amyn Mohammad Aga Khan’s Exceptional Service to the Imamat – July 4, 2012
- Navyn Naran’s Ode to Pir Hasan Kabirdin – the author of Anant Akhado and the Nav Chugga – June 24, 2012
- Vali Jamal’s Thank You Letter to Prince Sadruddin Aga Khan: The 1972 Expulsion of Asians from Uganda – May 23, 2012
- Salim Kanji’s Thank You Letter to East African Pioneers Kassam Ali Paroo, Lutafali Maherali and Aziz Esmail – May 16, 2012
- Zarina Moosa’s Thank You Letter to Lady Ali Shah Through the Voice of Her Son, Sir Sultan Mahomed Shah Aga Khan III – May 12, 2012
- Reminiscences of Two Great Ismaili Missionaries, Pir Sabzali and Meghji Missionary by Izat Velji, May 10, 2012 (in response to piece by Ameer Janmohamed, below)
- Ameer Janmohamed’s Thank You Letter to Pir Sabzali and the Ismaili Pirs of the Ginanic Tradition – May 5, 2012
- Hatim Mahamid’s Thank You Letter to the Institute of Ismaili Studies – May 1, 2012
- Aziz Kurwa’s Thank You Letter to the Person of the Institution of Imamat – April 20, 2012
- Mohezin Tejani’s Thank You Letter to Prince Sadruddin Aga Khan – “A Man of Multiple Visions” – April 15, 2012
- Andrew Kosorok’s Thank You Letter to the Makers of the Fatimid Blue Qur’an – March 29, 2012
A Note to Readers: Please visit our Home page and click What’s New for links to all articles published on this blog since March 2009. Subscribe to this Website via the box near the top right of this page.