By ABDULMALIK J. MERCHANT
Publisher-Editor, Simerg.com, barakah.com and simergphotos.com
What is Simerg?” This curiosity is appreciated. Many who have an answer will still ask for verification: “It is from the The Conference of the Birds, isn’t it?”
Yes, indeed it is, but with a variation in the spelling to make this site unique.
Simerg will seek to promote originality through the following sections:
In Voices, Simerg will interview as well as seek feedback from interesting and insightful individuals on topics which are relevant to Muslims and the faith of Islam, without excluding science and ethics, culture and religion in general. The interviews will be with Muslims and non-Muslims alike.
Literary Readings will consist of inspiring and educational readings from the Alid and the Shia Imami Ismaili Muslim traditions. The readings will be succint, educational and informative. New readings will be added on a regular basis.
Modern Artistic Expressions will be dedicated to the expressions of the modern Ismaili community in the areas of Visual Arts and Poetry.
Historical Photographs will become a resource of rare and unique photographs from individual collections as well as photo libraries. The photos will chronicle the Ismailis from the late 19th century onwards under a wide variety of topics including: Portraits, Monuments as well as the Social Life and Customs of the Ismailis.
Parables will illustrate a moral or religious lesson through short simple stories found in Islamic Literature as well as other faiths and cultures, from the earliest times to the present.
Sidelines is where you will get opinions and news on any subject; perhaps, a place for uninvolved people seeking to engage themselves with something that could be of interest.
Collections will offer extraordinary books and extraordinary objects including rare, antiquarian and out of print texts pertaining to the Muslim world, as well some unique selections of more recent works by Muslims.
Essays and Letters will be a venue through which we will seek to bring the best writings in fiction, nonfiction, art, film and literature written by authors, both new and established in the literary community.
In addition, from time to time we we will put out special series on specific topics. Some of the published ones (that are downloadable are):
- A Rich Collection of Readings and Poetry on Navroz
- Simerg’s Imamat and Didar Series
- I Wish I’d Been There Series – PDF
- Download Simerg’s special series on His Highness the Aga Khan III.
- A Compendium of Ismaili Artists
- Script – “The Ruby Shines On”
On March 29, 2012 we instituted another series, Thanking Ismaili Historical Figures, to celebrate this blog’s three year presence on the internet. In 2013, we introduced a new series dedicated to Ismaili Volunteers.
To add to the core Simerg website, a photoblog http://www.simergphotos.com was launched in 2012, and then in 2016 we introduced http://www.barakah.com to celebrate His Highness the Aga Khan through visual and textual expressions.
For a complete list of all the articles published on this blog/Website since its launch in March 2009, please click What’s New.
The search box is located at the top right of the page. Please enter your key words to locate corresponding articles.
Currently (March 2019) Simerg with its affiliated websites receives between 30,000 – 50,000 views every month, and we have a approximately 5000 followers. In the 10 year period since March 2009 we have received a total of over 4 million hits.
Your input, literary and photographic contributions as well as other other pertinent material will be key factors in the continued success of Simerg, Simergphotos and barakh.
Abdulmalik J. Merchant
Date page updated: April 5, 2019.
® Simerg is a Registered Trade Mark.
1. You may print or download to a local hard disk extracts for your personal and non-commercial use only.
2. You may copy the content to individual third parties for their personal use, but only if you acknowledge the website http://www.simerg.com (or websites affiliated with it) as the source of the material.
3. You may not, except with our express written permission, distribute or commercially exploit the content. Nor may you transmit it or store it in any other website or other form of electronic retrieval system.
4. You are permitted to provide links to the articles on Simerg from your Web site.
5. Material reproduced on this Web site from other sources which is Copyright should not be published or distributed without the permission from the original copyright owner.
Views expressed in the articles are those of the contributors and not necessarily of Simerg.
Simerg.com, together with its two sister websites barakah.com and simergphotos.com, is a personal endeavour and initiative of Abdulmalik Merchant, and part of Simerg Incorporated. It is not affiliated to or supported by any other organization.