Earth Day is celebrated every April 22 and is the largest celebrated environmental event worldwide. First launched as an environmental awareness event in the United States, one billion people across the globe now participate in various Earth Day activities every year. Six million of these participants are Canadian. Over the years, Earth Day has grown into Earth Week and Earth Month to accommodate the magnitude of events.
Here are a few examples of simple things you can do to help the environment:
- Default your printer to print double-sided at home and at the office
- Use a reusable mug for your daily morning coffee
- Close the blinds in the early morning and late afternoon in the summertime to reduce heat gain and energy consumption for air conditioning
- Turn off all office equipment every night before you leave the office
- Pack a lunch using reusable containers
- Bike, walk, carpool or take the bus to work