SHORT ESSENTIAL READINGS I
ASPECTS OF THE ‘DIDAR’
Introduction: Ismaili followers (murids) throughout history have sought to articulate their experiences of the didar (lit. glimpse) of their Imam of the Time through ginans, qasidas, poetry and other narratives. Although the happiness and joy in beholding the face of Imam-e-Zaman is something which can only be felt and cannot be adequately described, their rich and vivid descriptions motivate us to seek out our own unique experiences in the ‘physical’ presence of Mawlana Hazar Imam. Thousands of Ismailis in East Africa will shortly have an opportunity to be in the blessed presence of Mawlana Hazar Imam. We can share in the Jamats’ joy and happiness as the murids await Mawla’s arrival.
Simerg will endeavour to provide new posts about three times a week entitled “Essential Readings,” which we hope will contribute to making the mulaqat with Mawlana Shah Karim more meaningul and purposeful. In this regard, everyone’s understanding of the concept of Imamat is of paramount importance. What does Ismaili and related Shia literature reveal about the doctrine of Imamat? What are the pre-requisites in our daily lives to maximize the benefits from the didar of the Imam of the Time? What should our attitudes be in the presence of Mawlana Hazar Imam? These are some of the themes which “Essential Readings” will cover through short excerpts, which will include a supplication from a ginan, qasida or an individual poem. We therefore invite viewers from around the world to visit the Web site frequently and make use of this valuable resource, and share this momentous occasion for the East African Jamat. We also welcome contributions from our world-wide audience in the form of personal reflections, narratives and poetry relevant to the didar. Please submit your pieces to Simerg@aol.com with appropriate references.
For other “Didar Series” posts please click:
- Preparing for Mawlana Hazar Imam’s Didar: Short Essential Readings (VII) – Imamat in Ismaili Ginanic Literature
- Preparing for Mawlana Hazar Imam’s Didar: Short Essential Readings (VI) – The Merciful Glance and other readings
- Preparing for Mawlana Hazar Imam’s Didar: Short Essential Readings (V) – Ya Ali Khuba Mijalas and other readings
- Preparing for Mawlana Hazar Imam’s Didar: Short Essential Readings (IV) – Aab-i Shifa and other readings
- Preparing for Mawlana Hazar Imam’s Didar (III) – An Ode on Imam’s Essence and other readings
- Preparing for Mawlana Hazar Imam’s Didar (II): Spiritual Enlightenment Under the Imam’s Guidance and other readings
- Preparing for Mawlana Hazar Imam’s Didar (I): Dazzled by the Light and other readings
A Note to Readers: Please scroll down or click Home page for other recent posts and click What’s New for links to all articles published on this blog since March 2009. Subscribe to this Website via the box near the top right of this page.